FCCRSNC Rehoming / Relinquishment Resources
Since the Fort Collins Cat Rescue & Spay/Neuter Clinic is a No-Kill, Limited Admissions shelter, we have to have space in our shelter before accepting in more cats. Some months we have a lot of adoptions while other months we may only have a few adoptions. Please look into the following options when wanting to rehome your cat or an unclaimed stray cat:|
- Consider placing your animal on our Other Animals in Need Page. E-mail a photo and description of your already spayed or neutered cat to email@example.com. If your cat is not already spayed or neutered, consider having your animal altered before placing it into a home. For low cost spay and neuter options, please visit our Spay Neuter Clinic
- Place a free classified ad on PetFinder (www.petfinder.com) or on Craigslist (fortcollins.craigslist.org)
- Let your family, friends, coworkers and other acquaintances know that you are looking to rehome your cat. Even if they are not looking for a new family member, they might know someone who is!
- Contact the shelter about being placed on a waiting list. We do maintain a short waiting list of cats that need help quickly. We still judge cases on an individual basis, and don't simply follow a first come first serve basis. We only keep cats on our waiting list for 30 days. Please call us at 970-484-8516 so we can get you on the list.
- Consider contacting other shelters in the area to see if they have space or if you can be placed on a waitlist. Click here to get links to other animal rescue organizations in the area.
If you cannot keep your cat or a stray cat that you have found, please DO NOT abandon the cat on our doorstep! It is extremely dangerous for the animals that may get caught in inclement weather, escape their containers and roam very busy streets, or even worse be picked up by someone not connected with the shelter. If you have an urgent situation with an animal, please contact the Larimer County Animal Control at 970-226-3647.
When we do have space to accept cats and kittens, please note that our surrender fee for strays and owner relinquishment is $30 per cat/kitten. Each cat or kitten costs an average of $250 while with the shelter and the surrender fee helps to cover a small portion of the expenses.